Monday, July 5, 2010

Red White and Boom

I started the weekend by attending Red, White and Boom, which is a 30 year old tradition in Columbus. Somewhere between 300,000-400,000 people gather in downtown Columbus to watch the fireworks being shot off over the river. There were tons of street food vendors and tons of people. Luckily, the weather was nice and cool and we had a good spot that didn't make me feel like we were packed like sardines.


We decided to get "Bahama Mamas" from Schmitt's which is a German restaurant in Columbus. Bahama Mamas are these huge spicy sausages wrapped in hot dog buns. Delicious!


We also decided to split one of their famous cream puffs. I let Justin eat most of that, and he thoroughly enjoyed it!

Then we settled in and enjoyed time with the friends that were with us until the fireworks started.

We had a pretty good view of the fireworks...I learned that fireworks are difficult to photograph, especially when a lovey dovey couple is standing right in front of you!


Getting home was another story! We decided to park on campus and then ride COTA (public transportation) to the event. We hung around a little while after the fireworks to let the crowd die down, but it still took us a while to get home. Justin and I were a little afraid we were going to get thrown up on because the girl sitting behind us was really drunk. Let's just say that was one bus I was glad to get off of!




1 comment:

  1. I want a bahama mama and I also want a cream puff...right now. Y'all look so cute in your Red, White and Blue!!

    ReplyDelete